Luoping Travel Guide,Yunnan
The small town of Luoping lies in the relatively underdeveloped eastern part of the province, 228km east of Kunming, neighboring Guizhou and Guangxi. Luoping is dominated by karst features with small basins among mountain ranges. The town was previously often overlooked by tourists passing through the area, who usually headed to the more commercialized touristy attractions in the center and eastern part of the province. But Luoping has now been made famous by majestic photos shot by modern day photographers.
Luoping is a national base for raising bees and proudcing honey products. Early every spring, the blossoming rapeseed flowers of Luoping draws flocks of tourists and photographers. Sprawling farmland covered in golden rape stretches right up to the horizon, forming a sea of yellow buds and filling the air with the refreshing smell of spring.
Travelers refer to the area as the weirdest "sea" in the world. Take a casual walk in the fields on an early spring morning -- amid the waves of rape flowers moving in gentle breeze, with the image of Luoping town in the distance like an isolated island standing in the golden sea -- and you will know what they mean. This is the best reward for a freedom-loving heart.
- Jinjifeng - the most famous spot to view the rapeseeds flower is Jinjifeng(Golden Chicken Peak). Ticket office lies in Lingyi Temple on the halfway up to the mountaintop. But there is another ideal place just a few hundreds metres from Jinjishan to down town direction. Turn left when seeing the sign board, a knoll there is free for stepping to. Many photographers get set up on the top to shoot the sunrise and sunset over the flowers sea.
Getting there: minibus from downtown to Jinjilin, Y2, 10~15minutes
- The Jiulong (nine dragon )Waterfall - consisting of 10-tier waterfalls compactly grouped in a valley. They appear in different shapes, magnificent and beautiful. The biggest waterfall is with a drop of 56 meters and 110 meter in width. In dry season, the elegant waterfall hangs like a sliver chain in the sky.
The second biggest waterfall called Lovers Waterfall is a deep pond.The other waterfall also have their distinctive features. On the top of a hill, you can have a fantastic overlook of the ponds,shoals and the waterfalls.
Getting there: minibus from downtown to Jiulong Waterfall is Y5, 65 minutes. Suggest you charter a van to visit the 3 places together.
Admmission Fee: Y60
- Duoyi River - lies 33km southern of the county seat. Formed by the water from 5 underground springs, the 12km Duoyi River runs 40km to the southeast of Luoping Town.The clear river has more than 50 shoals formed by waterfalls. The bamboo raft on the river, the bamboo groves, trees, houses and waterwheels on the both bandks of the river present an idylic setting.
The customs of the Buyi ethnic minority is even more charming. On the 3rd day of the 3rd month of the lunar calendar, young men and women of the Buyi in splendid attires gather on the river bank for celebrating the festival, activities incl. bamboo raft racing, splashing water for sport singing in antiphonal style for courtship, offering an array of their local foods such as colored rice, fish with sort bamboo shoots, and palm pie...
- Lubuge Gorge - located 40km southern of the county seat. "Lubuge" is from Buyi language, meaning "a beautiful village". The major scenic spot is the Power Dam and its artificial lake. The dam is 103m high and the reservoir has a storage capacity of 110million cbm. The project was designed by 4 counties engineers (British, Italian, German & Chinese). The human power made the valley into a fascinating view with the 18 floors dam like a labyrinth.
The most convenient starting point for travel to Luoping is Kunming, the provincial capital. From there you can reach Luoping in about 5 hours either by train or bus. Trains from Kunming to Guangzhou, Guilin, Guiyang, Zhanjiang, Nanning... pass Luoping, hard seat is around Y40. The Kunming to Luoping train departs 8:10 and return at 14:00 every day. Buses leave Kunming for Luoping each hour during daytime, Y50-55.
From Nanning(Guangxi) to Luoping: by train, 593km / 10hrs. No.2059(Y65 for hard seat, Y130 for sleeper) departing at 18:46, arriving at 5:18 next day.
From Luoping, there are buses to Qujing, Luliang,Shizong,Kaiyuan and Kunming. Travellers heading to Yuanyang from Luoping usually get transferred in Kaiyuan (South Bus Station). The latest daily bus back to Kunming is at 9pm.
For travel between the various scenic spots within Luoping county, you can hire a motorized-rickshaw or take a minibus. But sometimes minibuses can be rather annoying, as the driver tends to wait for people to fill up the bus and completely neglects any schedule. The most convenient way is to charter a van for sightseeing around, which cost around Y200/day, covering Duoyihe, Jiulong Waterfall and Lubuge Gorge.
Budget hotels are centralized around the bus station and Xiguan Jie, price ranges from Y20/bed to Y60/std. room.
Hongfuyuan(鸿福园农家) is a private guesthouse in Mingge Village(明格村) near Jiulong Waterfall. Surrounded by rapeseed flowers, it offers fantastic rural beauty which is hardly imaginable if you stay downtown.
- Kunming-Luoping-Yuanyang Tour
- Any info about Sanyuesan Festival in Qujing/Yunnan on the Duoyi River in April
- Seasonal Recommendations
- Travel plan for a 2 weeks trip in Yunnan/Guizhou/Guangxi
- Avalanche in Yubeng (Meili Snow Mt. Yunnan) Killed 2 Tourists
- Muli to Lugu Lake
- All Destinations
- Kunming to Chengdu