Mt. Everest(Qomolangma) Travel Guide, Tibet
Located at the Sino-Nepal border, also known as Mt. Qomolangma, it's the highest peak in the world of 8,850m. On a clear day it presents an astounding vista, particularly from Pang La and Lamma La. Insistence on the use of Qomolangma (Zhumùlangma) rather than Mount Everest to label the world's highest peak would have pleased Sir George Everest, who staunchly believed in using local place-names.
The North Col of Everest is located in Tinggri (Shegar). Massive glaciers and seracs feature a thrilling splendor. The peak has been a holy hiking attraction for worldwide mountaineers, who start from the Everest Base Camp to conquer the world's highest peak, while tourists trek to the foot of the peak to enjoy its beauty.
Around Mt.Everest, there are four peaks above 8,000m high, including Mt. Makarluh, Gosanthain, Zhuoyo, Shishabanma and other 14 peaks above 7,000m, which form the spectacular view of Mt.Everest Natural Scenery Area.
Tingri/定日(Old)- an impoverished settlement with a breathtaking view of the world's highest peaks, 289km southwest of Shigatse, 184km northeast of Zhangmu, is the favored starting point for those wishing to trek to Everest Base Camp, and a common overnight stop between Kathmandu and Lhasa. A row of white-tiled houses and shops under construction to the west of town suggests that a Hàn influx is planned. Magnificent views of Everest may be gained from the ruins of the late-18th-century Tingri Dzong, spread across a hill south of town.
Pelbar (Baiba Xiang / 白坝乡)，which is around 10km south of new Tingri,is a more pleasant place for staying overnight before you head for the Mt. Everest Nature Reserve. Hostels of Y20/bed and comfortable 3-star std. hotel of Y120~180/rm are avaible in town. Plent of Sichuan Style restaurant besides the main road. But for internet service, you may have to go to the Tingri county seat. Paying a visit to the Tibetan villages around Pelbar is great experience.
Renting vehicles at Pelbar to Mt. Everest costs around RMB800 per car (such as Jetta and Santana) or 1000~1200 per landcruiser for an overnight trip. Returning on the same day may be cheaper.
Get in & out
No regular bus from Shigatse to New Tingri(Shagar), suggest you charter a car from Shigatse or even Lhasa to cover the journey. It takes 6~7hrs from Shigatse to New Tingri.
10km away from New Tingri along the Sino-Nepal Road,stands the checkpoint, where the permit checked. Another 10km ahead, comes the toll-gate, vehicles are charged for Y400~600/entry, tourists are charged Y65/head for admission fee.
After passing the toll-gate, there is still around 100km ahead to the base camp, with Rongbuk Monastery on the mountainside which you can drop by or lodge.
For reaching to the Everest Base Camp, there are 5 mini-buses running between the tent area and Base Camp at very high frequency, Y25/head for round trip.
Rongbuk Monastery - there is a hostel inside with 100 beds, a dinning room and a store.Y30~40/night.,but the beddings usually smells horrible and feels a little bit humid,the Toilet is too dirty. ( Warning: There have been accounts of "wandering fingers" in this guesthouse. Watch your valuables.)
You can also stay overnight in the tents closer to the Mt.Everest Base Camp, which is 7km upper from Rongbuk Monastery, Vehicles are allowed to reach that point, while horse-cart is NOT available any more. The atmosphere in the tent area is more lively than that in the Rongbuk Monastery.
Besides the highest peak itself, there are a few sights in the area:
- Rongbuk Monastery/绒布寺 - 78km from the check point in Tingri leads to Rongbuk Monastery, the highest monastery in the world with an altitude is 5,100m, at the foot of the Rongbuk Glacier.
The monastery was built in 1899, as a Nyingmapa monastery since it was said that once Padmasambhava, founder of Nyingmapa, preceded his religious cultivation here. The monastery destroyed in the Cultural Revolution, having 8 sub-monasteries including a nunnery, is gradually restored. It houses Lamas and nuns in the same monastery. Sakyamuni and Padmasambhava are enshrined in the small temple. Pilgrims trek a long way to pay votive offerings or see lamas playing operas during big Buddhist days.
There is a hostel in the monastery, where tourists and mountaineers may have cooked food and instant food, even beer. 300m south of the monastery is the famous Rongbuk Glacier.
- Gama Valley - located at the lower reaches of Pongqu River in Tingri. The north bounds reaching Karizangpu and Kamazangpu River, the south bounds arriving at the board of Sino-Nepal, adjacent to Chentang in the east, backed up by Mt.Everest. Gama Valley enjoys a reputation of the most beautiful Valley in the World. Gama Valley is famous for the luxuriantly green forest, colorful cuckooflowers, limpid spring, deep and steep gorges and various birds. What’s more, the splendor scenery of Mt.Everest can be easily seen here.
Besides enjoying Mt.Everest, you can also clearly share the view of the world’s fouth highest peak-Mt. Lotsi from the east slope, and the world’s fifth highest peak-Mt Makarluh from the North Slope.
- Zhangmu Valley - located in Nyalam County, south from the Nyalam County to Sino-Nepal Board Friendship Bridge. Zhangmu port is the first grade land port in China, and also the most prosperous port in Tibet.
- Yatung Valley - lies in Yatung County, down straight from Pali Town (4,700m), across up Yatung, down Sima Town, down Yatung, east to Bhutan, south to India. In the county, you can find Liangpu hot spring, virgin forest and all kinds of mountain chicken, rabbits, white monkeys, roes and Yatung fish, most of which are national protected rare animals.
- Jilong Valley - located at the mid-lower reaches of south Jilong County, south to the Resuo Bridge on Sino-Nepal board. It is the largest and the most beautiful forest
sightseeing area in Mt. Qomonlangma Natural Scenery Protection Area. The natural view here along with the local various culture, water sight and historical ethnic culture compose a highlight point in the Protection Area, including Mt. Yangrankangri, Langbokangri, virgin forest and Chongduimo Caved Image.
The trek out to Everest Base Camp follows two main routes -- from Pelbar via the wretchedly poor village of Chay, and from Tingri via Lungjiang. The former route (113km) is usually traveled in 3 hours along a much improved road. The latter is a tough 3-4 days journey, and the path is hard to follow in places.
A permit costs Y180/person and Y400/vehicle, purchased at Pelbar, Tingri or Chay.